Iowa Employee Rights
Quick Guide to IA Employee Rights
Iowa Employee Rights
One of the greatest public resources for Iowa employee rights involving various employee rights in minimum wage, fair pay and equal pay, the hiring process, safety standards, and more is the following website under the Iowa Business and Regulatory Assistance Network.
There are also numerous codes under the Iowa legislature that apply to Iowa employee rights. Some of these codes on IA employee rights are listed below:
• 91A- explains wage payment collection
• 91B- explains an employee’s right to access personal files
• 92- regulates child labor
• 216- explains civil rights within the workplace
Iowa Employee Rights in the Hiring Process
There are multiple federal laws and state laws that protect an applicant during the hiring process and most of these laws protect the applicant against discrimination, unlawful drug testing, and access to personal files.
Iowa employee rights within Code 91B state that employees are allowed access to performance evaluations, disciplinary records, and much more information about the employee. The only thing an employee cannot reference during a hiring process for another company according to IA employee rights is the former employer’s reference for the employee.
Iowa employee rights within the hiring process are controlled by the following federal laws and more:
• Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (which protects Iowa employee rights dealing with race, color, religion, sex, or national origin, and more)
• Age Discrimination Act of 1963 (which protects IA employee rights and workers’ rights who are 40 years or older)
• Title I and Title V of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and Sections 501 and 505 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (which protects a disabled person’s IA employee rights in federal, state, and local sectors)
• Title II of the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008 (which protects IA employee rights and prohibits discrimination based on genetic information about the employee)
Fair Pay and Equal Pay and IA Employee Rights
There are also Iowa employee rights that cover various employee rights in minimum wage and fair pay and equal pay. Some of these IA employee rights are listed below:
The Fair Pay and Equal Pay Acts
These acts prohibit sex-based discrimination within the same job. The Fair Pay and Equal Pay Acts also prohibit an employer from paying employees of equal experience and skill different wages based on sex or any categories under discrimination laws.
Various Employee Rights with Minimum Wage
The current minimum wage in Iowa is $7.25. Various employee rights in minimum wage laws allow the employee to negotiate their wage or make a claim against unfair wages, and employees receiving minimum wage operate under the same overtime rules as people with higher pay rates. Refer to the article on this website titled, “Quick Guide to Iowa’s Minimum Wage” for more information on various employee rights in minimum wage laws.
If you believe your Iowa employee rights have been violated, including various employee rights in minimum wage, fair pay and equal pay, the hiring process, or any other aspect of the workplace, you should never be afraid to receive proper compensation from the employer. Your Iowa employee rights under the hiring process, various employee rights under minimum wage laws, and others are protected under whistleblower laws if you decide to bring suit against an employer.